Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Trust

My boys started swimming lessons this week. A new adventure, for sure! The first day was a bit scary as they had never been in a "big" pool. I don't know how long they have been begging for swimming lessons and we have been gearing them up to go. The day arrived and the boys eagerly got into the pool, and were encouraged by the teacher (Mike) to walk down the steps and get completely wet. Todd boldly went down, but at the bottom found that the water was up to his nose... that just about ruined him for the rest of the day, but he managed to muster enough courage to make it for 20 minutes of the 30 min. lesson.

Scott was another story. Through tears and trembling, he did everything that Mike asked him to do. Each time Scott had a turn floating on his back I could hear Mike gently say, "I won't let you go. I will always hold you." So Scott progressed. It was so hard for him because he was so afraid, but he trusted Mike to never let go. Todd didn't and he gave up the lesson.

Today, Todd wouldn't even go in the pool (although with much coaxing and bribing... I think I have convinced him to participate tomorrow!!!!). And today Scott did the same kinds of things as yesterday, but with a huge smile on his face! No tears today, only joy. He learned to trust his teacher and is learning the skill of swimming with smiles.


FROM THE BIBLE...

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

I like this verse in the Message too...

Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track.

2 comments:

Dawnelle said...

I was exactly the same way during my first swimming lesson. I think if there had been such a thing as Blogs back then my mom would have written the same story! LOL
Thanks for sharing.

Sarah said...

update for today... Todd went in the pool!!!! I prayed hard last night! Plus they got to get a toy from the dollar store if they both did their lesson!!